Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why?

Why do bad things happen? It just doesn’t seem fair. We do everything right, and still we get “dumped on.” Why? Where is God?

Why not? What makes us so special? The night before his crucifixion, Jesus prayed that he not have to go through it. He knew it would be hard, painful, something he would have preferred to avoid. But he knew that’s what God wanted, what had to be done. He said, “Father, not my will but yours be done.”

Maybe that’s what we need to say. We don’t know why things happen. And if we did, it probably wouldn’t make a difference anyway.

Imagine if God had gone to my husband Bryan years ago and said, “Hey, Bryan, I have a fantastic lady (me!) with two sons who need your influence. You and Debbie will improve each other’s lives more than you can imagine. But I’ll need to take your current wife, Beth. She’s going to die of cancer.”

Would Bryan have responded, “Oh, okay. Sounds good”? Of course not! He couldn’t see what the future would bring, and would have preferred not to go through losing a wife.

Just knowing WHY something happens doesn’t make it any easier to handle. We may never know the why. But we can trust that God has a bigger plan in mind.

Bless you today. Know that God loves you.
Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Debbie,
    I so appreciated your devotion on christiandevorions.us. I have many friends whose husbands have died. I will share this with them.
    In Christ,
    Glenda Mills

    Www.glendamills.com

    ReplyDelete