Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 2010 CCWC

Hello, dear friends and family-

Well, I have survived the Colorado Christian Writers’ Conference and my life has returned to “normal”. It was a fantastic five days spent learning more about writing, publishing and marketing, as well as making new friends and cementing old relationships. It was absolutely great!

The weekend started with picking up my editor Hope and Cary Grant at the airport for the drive up to Estes Park. (Rick Marschall had e-mailed me a picture of Cary Grant so I’d know what he looks like.) :-) I attached the picture to a sign with his name and held it high so he could find me among the crowds. You wouldn’t believe the number of people who wanted to wait with me to see Cary Grant walk up!

The conference had more workshops than I could attend and more information than I could ever hope to absorb. I took notes fast and furious (or is that fastly and furiously?) so that I can type and digest them when I have time, hopefully this week. The more I learn about writing, publishing, and marketing, the more I have yet to learn!

In case you haven’t heard, I am now in negotiations with HigherLife Publishing to have Stepping Through Cancer, A Step-By-Step Guide for the Journey in print later this year. YAY! Hope Flinchbaugh, my editor, met with me at the conference for half an hour to discuss this book and another that I’ve started. She’s really excited and has some great marketing ideas for a Stepping Through Cancer website. We'll have a survivors' wall for people to send a picture and short bio, as well as a memorial wall to help us remember our loved ones. I’m also creating a notebook for use with the cancer book, which will give caregivers a little control in an otherwise uncontrollable situation.

I keep running across Jeremiah 29:11, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" I told Hope that was meant for me. God promised to give me hope, and I got Hope as my editor and friend!

Actually, this verse has helped me to accept all the rotten stuff I've had to deal with for my entire life. The plans have always been to prosper me and not harm me, to give me hope and a future. I can see that now. had. And that, along with my writing, gives me hope and a future. But the promise isn't just for me. All of His children can claim this promise. His plans for us are good. We just need to be willing to let Him use us.

Blessings to all of you.
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment