Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I need your help!

Hello, friends and family!

Life goes on, one breath at a time. I’m coming up on the two-year anniversary of Bryan’s death this Sunday, so it’s been a little tough. Not as bad as last year, but the thought and pain are always in the background.

Yesterday, Derrick Hayes at http://www.derrickhayes.com/blog-1/ posted my comments about how life is different from where I expected to be 5 years ago. I could write a book (wait a minute – I did!) although we were limited in the number of words. It was a challenge, but it’s now posted as #8 on his blog.

My publisher and I are discussing the cover design, marketing plan, and website, so my book, Stepping Through Cancer, A Guide for the Journey, is moving forward. Still estimating a February release date.

Here’s where I need your help with a marketing plan. They want to know places where I could speak and promote my book. Many of you have invited me to come and speak to your group or church. Please let me know of any connections you have with a church (please give approximate membership), organization, media, conference, event, or educational institution that may share a passion for cancer caregivers. I want this book (and myself) to be available to anyone and everyone who is caring for a loved one with cancer.

I’ll probably start speaking soon. I won’t pretend that it doesn’t scare me to death, especially doing it alone. But I know this is where God wants me right now, so I’m stepping out in faith.

Our pastor John Martz was speaking about honestly putting in God control our lives. He had us hold our car keys in our hands, palms turned up and fingers outstretched. Then, we prayed that God would take the keys of our lives and that we would be passengers, going wherever He wants us to go. It was quite a moving exercise and let me know that I’ve been holding tightly onto my “keys.”

I just watched “Back to the Future III” again. The movie ended with Dr. Emmett Brown saying, “Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one.” Good advice for all of us. Maybe being a passenger with God as the driver will make it REALLY good!

Make it a good one.
Love to all-
Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, after you read at Open Mic night at the NCW studio, a member of the audience talked to several of her friends about your story and they want to know more. I've passed on the link to this blog, and I'll also give her your e-mail address. There may be some opportunities there for you to speak.

    ReplyDelete